As a follow up to my earlier blog, i wanted to publish new features of Moodle from 2.3 to 2.4, was released on December 2012. Many of the bugs from previous Moodle release has been fixed. Check the list of bugs fixed in Moodle 2.4.
Requirements for Moodle 2.4 installation
- Recommended browsers for moodle 2.4: Firefox 4, Internet Explorer 8 (IE 10 required for drag and drop of files from outside the browser into Moodle), Safari 5, Google Chrome 11
- Moodle upgrade: If you want to upgrade to Moodle 2.4, you must be running Moodle 2.2 or above. If you have a Moodle version lower than Moodle 2.2, you must upgrade to 2.2 first
- Minimum DB versions: Postgres 8.3, MySQL 5.1.33, MSSQL 2005 or Oracle 10.2
- Minimum PHP version: PHP 5.3.2
Moodle 2.4 was introduced some major performance improvement which includes better indexing in PostgreSQL, improved statistics performance, data base meta caching, question related caching and more. All these resulted in over all performance improvement.
Plugin updating from within Moodle
New Moodle plugin interface now support update check as well as updates from the web interface as well as update the plugins from the web interface.
Course format plugins
Course formats can now provide their own settings for courses and sections, and developers can also have a lot more control of all the pages in a course.
- Support for HTML5 themes
- Improved compatibility with Internet Explorer 8-10.
- The default icons used for activities and editing actions have been updated for the first time since Moodle 1.0. This is a major look and feel improvement. Now they a little bigger and more colourful. These icons are SVG format and support full scaling on all devices.
- SimpleYUI enables similar coding style to JQuery, it is intended especially for theme designers.
- Improved TinyMCE editor integration, Support for fully configurable add-on plugins extending standard, customizable toolbar, and built in browser spell check.
- Improved enrollment plugin, cohort synchronization with course group also fixes on the plugin.
- Integration with external calendar: You can now stream your external calendars (such as Google Calendar, or a calendar from another Moodle site) into Moodle’s calendar via the iCal standard.
- Assignment enhancements
- Workshop module enhancements
All security issues that were fixed in 2.3.x and 2.2.x were also fixed in 2.4.
to read the full list of changes in Moodle 2.3 to 2.4 follow this link
Read slimier blog post of Moodle changesMoodle –new features and Changes Between version 2.4 to 2.5 (Major features) Moodle changes across 2.3 to 2.4 Moodle overview and feature lists 2.2 and 2.3 Moodle changes across major upgrade 1.9 to 2.0 to 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3
One thought on “Moodle changes across 2.3 to 2.4”